is a worker’s tent to get any and every kind of insight into his or her chosen field of career. It is a great platform for people all over the world, to connect and share opinions. CEOs, founders, and just about anyone from any company can be found on LinkedIn, as employees and employers get a thorough idea about a person’s work experience and education on the large platform. LinkedIn has a range of features and tools that help a user build up his or her brand on the platform. LinkedIn provides learning opportunities, with a premium subscription that paves the way for convenience.
In today’s fast paced world, it is rather a necessity to always showcase your uniqueness in the market. Competition is crisp and with that comes the pressure of trying to maintain your image consistently on any platform. It not only takes a good reputation in a career to achieve heights; soft skills, experience, trainings and lots more become the deciding factor on LinkedIn to prove your worth as your profile is visible to just about everyone and a prospective recruiter would definitely want you to match his or her checklist to hire you. Personal branding hence, is a key feature for you in today’s time. Personal branding refers to how you showcase yourself in front of the world, in a way different than others. If you have a unique approach to life; if you happen to have ideas and skills that many do but know a better way to put them on the table – your brand becomes a hit in no time. On a platform like LinkedIn, if you wish to increase your visibility and get your word across many people, including the popular LinkedIn influencers all over the world, personal branding becomes of sole importance for you and can help you achieve great lengths. Personal branding was first coined by Tom Peters, in 1997 and includes professional reputation, work style, skills, community engagement and worldview.
Building your personal brand would also require you to choose exactly what people are looking for : your strengths, weakness, how and why you would make an ideal candidate for a given company, and so on. Your brand should incorporate all these details from the beginning, for you to focus on exactly what you need to portray and for the right recruiters to reach you for your ideal job. Once this is established, LinkedIn and its tools help you build your profile in a way that says everything about you, without the need for second guessing. This is how LinkedIn can make you create an authentic brand for yourself,
1. Make your LinkedIn profile stand out: Your profile would be the first thing that a recruiter or any individual on LinkedIn would be keen on seeing. Hence, it is essential for you to fill up every detail that would prove to be important for the viewer. Your profile should ideally have a professional picture of you, your education qualifications and work experiences highlighted out, skills, trainings and projects if any, and interests should be put on the platform. Your brand would be influenced by what all you mention on your profile. You are also required to add a bio highlighting your interests and which field catches your eye. A one-liner about your personality in terms of managing work and peer relationships would be recommended as well.
2. Make some adjustments to your Linkedin Background: Your LinkedIn background speaks a lot about you as well. You can use the background to showcase other things that interest you. The picture should ideally have a proper resolution and can highlight a still from a project, or show you in front of coworkers at a given place. It can also contain a view of your workplace or you in your workplace to showcase authenticity.
3. Consistency is key: You should always make sure to remain consistent when it comes to your profile on LinkedIn. If you acquire new skills, or get a new job or project, you should put it on your profile and share with your coworkers to let them know more about you. Keeping up to date with your work presence on social media gives a good boost to any online resume, and LinkedIn with the help of its tools and wide consumer base, efficiently manages to secure, just that. Consistency is important so as not to confuse people or send mixed messages about who you are and what you want in your career.
4. Increasing visibility: Visibility is the prime key on LinkedIn to engage with more and more people everyday. Always make your profile visible to get more feedback from peers or recruiters. You might have a brilliant personal brand but if it is not visible to people, it does not make any sense of having a brand. You can include the URL of your LinkedIn profile on other social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and so on, and also put it on your business card. As more and more people come to know about your brand, your visibility would increase by manifolds and give you a good push to get your branding a level ahead.
5. Build up your brand association: LinkedIn helps you connect with many recruiters and hence it is essential for you to connect with authentic people from around the globe. Start of with your trusted peers and coworkers and let them know of your brand. As your connections increase, your social media presence would be felt by third party recruiters as well who would be likely to take a look at your brand if it matches what they need.
You should always remember that your personal brand is not just who you are, but also what you do. Hence, always remain up-to-date with your achievements in the sphere of work or education, or any project for that matter and also engage with people on LinkedIn by posting content or appreciating what others post. It is a great way to boost your own brand and make people realise your worth.